106-108 Market Jew Street, Penzance, Cornwall TR18 2LA
Woolworths came to Penzance in April 1936, opening on Market Jew Street. The store was extended in 1938. Below is a 1955 photo – Woolworths in the centre on the right hand side, with the triangle feature on the roof.
Source: Francis Frith
In 1972, the store was modernised, refurbished and converted to self-service, and then in 1986 there was an upgrade to the Comparison Store format.
Source: Hearson M, Flickr
There was a further refurb in 1993. Below is a photo in 2007, a year before they closed down.
Source: Burford R, Flickr
They closed for good on 27th December 2008. Here is when the letters were took off just before the annual Mazey Day celebrations.
Source: Hughs, R
In July 2009, a Poundland (surprise, surprise!) opened in this building. Here it is:
Source: Ballysundriven, Flickr
Dates source: 100thbirthday.co.uk