32-34 Westgate St, Gloucester GL1 2NG
The 125th Woolworths store opened in the city centre of Gloucester in 1922. It opened on the site of the Palace Theatre on Westgate Street, which was demolished to create the store (on the middle right of this photo, next to Godsell & Sons).
Source: Francis Frith
And though it was purpose-built, I don’t quite know why they put a curved feature on the right of the store. Indeed in this below pre-Woolworths photo, you can see the building next to Godsell & Sons does look completely different, so it was demolished. Perhaps it was insisted on by the council, as Gloucester does have a certain historic look to it, that Art Deco styling was not permitted.
They traded from here until 1970. Brinkhorns then took over the building, and today it was, until just this December 2017, a Poundstretcher shop. But now this store has also closed down.
So if are ever on Westgate Street in Gloucester, do take a moment to look up at this building and the mystery curved feature on the right. Maybe you’ll want to buy it too, as the building is now for sale!
Source: John D. Wood
“32-34 Westgate Street is located in the pedestrianised section of Westgate Street, approximately 150 metres from The Cross, with the Cathedral directly to and visible from the rear of the property.
The property comprises a mid-terrace five storey building of brickwork elevations under a mix of pitched and flat roofs.
Internally, the premises comprise retail space to the ground and first floors with ancillary accommodation to the basement, second and third floors, which is capable of being divided to provide accommodation suitable for a variety of uses along with residential accommodation to the upper floors, subject to obtaining the necessary planning consent(s).
The upper floors and basement are accessible from a separate front access which leads to a stairwell to the rear of the building which accesses all floors. The ground floor retail space also has access to the rear stairwell, and a single staircase also links the ground and first floors directly.”
Extract from John Ryde Commercial
A second store opened in Gloucester in 1954 on Eastgate Street – Store 837, which will be covered in a separate blog post in the future.