44 – 45 High Street, Merthyr Tydfil, Glam.
The 140th Woolworths store opened in Wales in 1923, in a town called Merthyr Tydfil.
Source: Francis Frith
In the 1970s the store had a makeover, with this recognisable style. The makeover probably coincided with the conversion to self-service.
Source: Alan George
The store closed in December 2008.
It became a B&M Bargains, but they then moved to a retail park – so this building is sadly empty again.