96 High Street (formerly Penkhull Street), Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffs ST5 1QF
The 300th Woolworths store opened in 1928 on Penkhull Street in a timber-framed building. At some point Penkhull Street was renamed ‘High Street’.
After WW2 the ‘3d and 6d’ was dropped from the fascia so it read ‘F. W. Woolworth’.
Source: Age Photo Stock
In the 1950s a zebra crossing was put on the road directly in front of Woolworths.
Source: Magnolia Box
In presumeably 1960s, Woolworths had a major makeover. They demolished the original timber-framed building and built a two-floor superstore that took the whole of the corner plot. It went all the way to the other end of Friar Street where there was another entrance.
In the 1970s, the logo was updated on the fascia.
Source: Stoke on Trent Live
The store lasted until the end, closing in January 2009.
After closure, it became a 99p store when then became Poundland.
Here is the side view on Friar Street, so you can see how big a Woolworths it would have been.