42 High Street, Mexborough, Yorkshire S64 9AS
Woolworths opened in Mexborough on 3rd August 1928. They took over the premises of Richard Brown & Sons gentleman’s outfitters. The building was demolished and a purpose-built Woolworths store erected. After 17 weeks of construction, the store was opened, with Mr Robert Hull as the manager. He ran the store of 32 departments with a staff of 60 girls. The Mexborough & District Heritage Society have published an incredible article by J. R. Ashby, with details of the store being constructed, the opening of the store and more – have a read here. It details how on the opening day in August 1928, palm trees were shipped in as well as a full orchestra – it sounds very extravagant!
44 High Street, Mexborough, Yorkshire S64 9AT
In the 1960s Woolworths bought the building next door, which was previously the South Yorkshire Times office. In 1974 redevelopment started in Mexborough, with a new by-pass road created. The south east side of the High Street was demolished, including the old South Yorkshire Times building that Woolworths had obtained. Woolworths then constructed a new, larger store next to their old store. They traded here right until the end, closing in December 2008.
The unit became a B&M store in January 2009.
Meanwhile the original Woolworths building exists, and that today is Superdrug – next door to B&M.