20 – 26 London Road, East Grinstead, West Sussex RH19 1AG
Woolworths opened in East Grinstead in 1929. The building is quite interesting as the upper floor had the right side in line with the street and the left side back a bit. So we can guess the store was small to start off with – probably the right side. And then extended to the left in later years. Or vice versa. Have a look at this photo from the 1960s.
The store traded here right until the end, closing after the chain went bust in December 2008.
It became a 99p store and then a Poundland. But all the classic Woolies features still exist, from the upper floor architecture to the cream tiles to the doors.