Rutland House, 42 High Street, Newmarket, Suffolk
Woolworths opened in Newmarket in 1929, at 42 High Street in a building called Rutland House. It used to be a doctor’s – Dr E. Crompton – according to the Newmarket Street Directory.
The upper floors were rebuilt in 1991 – the reason why is unknown. Perhaps it was beyond repair at it was quite an old building, dating from 1768 when it was the White Horse pub.
The store lasted until the end, closing after the chain went bust in December 2008.
Source: Newmarket Local History Society
It became a QD store.