7 – 8 High Street, Abergavenny, Gwent NP7 5RU
Woolworths opened their 250th store in Abergavenny, Wales in 1927. It opened at number 7 High Street on the site of a former tailor, outfitter, hatter, hosier and shoe shop called William Henry Butt. But many years beforehand, the graveyard of St John’s Church crossed this site, and when Woolworths built their first store here, they found a stone coffin.
In the 1960s there was another redevelopment to extend the store to number 8. When these works were going on, the archway of the cemetery gateway was exposed. The new store looked like a typical 1960s rectangular store.
The store lasted until the end, and closed in December 2008.
In 2009 B&M moved in. They have kept the front as it was when it was Woolworths, but closed the doors on the right permanently to put a trolley park in front of it.
Information is from the Abergavenny Street Survey