Category Archives: Lincolnshire

Skegness – Store 330

55 – 59 Lumley Road, Skegness, Lincs PE25 3LT 

Woolworths opened their 330th store in the seaside town on Skegness. It doesn’t look like a purpose built store, as the windows on the upper floor look older. Here is a staff photo from 1938.

Skegness Woolworths 1938

Skegness Woolworths 1938

Source: Facebook

Sadly I can’t find any more photos of the store through the years, but it did last right up until the end. Here it is in a Google Street View screenshot from 2008. We can see a window poster saying 3 for 2 on All Clothing. Marks and Spencers was next door, but that is now Poundland.

Skegness Woolworths 2008

Skegness Woolworths 2008

Here are some videos from the closing days.

Today the Yorkshire Trading Company trades from the old Woolworths unit.

Skegness Former Woolworths

Skegness Former Woolworths

Advertisements

Spalding – Store 318

15 Bridge Street, Spalding, Lincs PE11 1XE

Woolworths opened in the market town of Spalding in 1928. Sadly just 13 years afterward, the store was badly hit in WW2.

Spalding Woolworths 1941

Spalding Woolworths 1941

Source: A Pictorial History of Spalding

Woolworths picked themselves up and quickly put up a temporary store in the shell.

Spalding Woolworths 1941

Spalding Woolworths 1941

Source: Woolworths Museum

A permanent store was built after the war, and they traded here until the end, closing for good in January 2009.

Spalding Woolworths 2008

Spalding Woolworths 2008

Source: Facebook

In this photo you can have a better look at how the whole building looked, the upper floor being a quite recognisable 50s style of Woolworths architecture.

Spalding Woolworths 2009

Spalding Woolworths 2009

After closure, it became a Store Twenty One, which then closed. Today it is Charmed Interiors.

Spalding Former Woolworths

Spalding Former Woolworths

 

 

Boston – Store 167

22 Strait Bargate, Boston, Lincs

Woolworths opened in the small market town of Boston in 1924. Unfortunately I cannot find any old photos of the store, just this photo from when the store was closing in December 2008.

Former employee Matt Fox started his retail career at this store and he remembers it having a huge shopfloor with an even bigger warehouse and back of house area. The turnover was £5 – £6 million a year, this was in the 90s – 2000s. The store was in a great location, right in the centre of the town centre.

Boston Woolworths 2008

Boston Woolworths 2008

Source: Croft R.

The store became a branch of QD stores, but this has since closed.

Boston Former Woolworths - QD Stores

Boston Former Woolworths – QD Stores

Today Poundstretcher is in the building with a Pet Hut inside.

Boston Former Woolworths - Poundstretcher

Boston Former Woolworths – Poundstretcher

 

Grantham – Store 157

8 Market Place, Grantham NG31 6LJ

Woolworths opened in Grantham in 1924, originally on Market Place – this photo shows all the men who helped build the store.

Grantham Woolworths 1924

Grantham Woolworths 1924

Source: Longland, M.

Woolworths traded from Market Place for just over 30 years before moving to bigger premises (see on the left of this 1950s photo).

Grantham Woolworths 1955

Grantham Woolworths 1955

Source: Francis Frith

This building is occupied by the Gravity Bar today.

Grantham Former Woolworths - Gravity Bar

Grantham Former Woolworths – Gravity Bar

Source: Lincolnshire Reporter

If you take a closer look at the fascia of Gravity, you will see surviving Woolworths Lion Head consoles, with the W erased.

Grantham Former Woolworths Lion Head - Gravity Bar

Grantham Former Woolworths Lion Head – Gravity Bar

Source: Building Our Past

46 High Street, Grantham, Lincolnshire

In 1957 Woolworths moved to the High Street, and three shops – Dewhurst butchers, the Grantham Journal and O’Brien’s Cycle Shop – were demolished to make way for the new store. The Grantham Journal was incorporated into the new building. The newspaper had been on this site since 1868.

Grantham Woolworths 1950s-60s

Grantham Woolworths 1950s-60s

In the 1990s Grantham was a pilot Heartland store. Heartland stores were a formula for market towns including “the Kitchen shop, improved displays of Toys and Kidswear, as well as new third-party ranges that could be delivered quickly and cheaply. Video rental brought a new dimension, complete with the obligatory chute at the back of the stores to return tapes out of hours. The stores also offered a dry cleaning service. New products included Petcare, an extended offer of home cleaning products, and a welcome return for a limited range of toiletries after a year-long absence, as well as Newspapers and Magazines.” (Extract from Woolworths Museum)

Former assistant store manager Matt Fox has fond memories of the store, it had a key place on Grantham High Street.

Grantham Woolworths 2008

Grantham Woolworths 2008

The store closed in December 2008 and today you will find B&M Bargains in its place.

Grantham Former Woolworths - B&M

Lincoln – Store 156

301 High Street, Lincoln 

In 1924 Woolworths opened on the High Street in the historic City of Lincoln.

Lincoln Woolworths 1924

Lincoln Woolworths 1924

Source: Woolworths Museum

In the 1930s, the store had was extended and the property team had to adapt their standard store styling to secure permission to build. The store facade was timbered in Old England style, similar to the Kingston store.

Lincoln Woolworths 1950s

Lincoln Woolworths 1950s

The location was a prominent one, being close to the Lincoln Stonebow (The Stonebow is the south gate of the City, dating from the late 15th Century to early 16th Century).

Lincoln Woolworths 1955

Lincoln Woolworths 1955

Lincoln Woolworths 1965

Lincoln Woolworths 1965

Source: Francis Frith

The store closed in September 1989 as the land became part of the Waterside Shopping Centre developement. Below is how the former Woolworths side looks today.

Lincoln Former Woolworths - Waterside Shopping Centre

Lincoln Former Woolworths – Waterside Shopping Centre

A new Woolworths store opened inside the Waterside Shopping Centre at Unit 30 – presumably when the shopping centre opened. in March 1992. The new store number was 1171.

Lincoln Woolworths (Waterside Shopping Centre - Store 1171)

Lincoln Woolworths (Waterside Shopping Centre – Store 1171)

Source: Lincolnshire Live

Former employee Matt Fox has great memories of working in this store, especially at Christmas time with the store being shoulder to shoulder with the Lincoln market. The location of the store was in the centre of the shopping centre.

They traded here for about a decade and then closed a few years prior to the chain going bust.

Lincoln Woolworths (Waterside Shopping Centre - Store 1171)

Lincoln Woolworths (Waterside Shopping Centre – Store 1171)

Source: Hitchborne D.

Primark took on the unit where it still is today.

Lincoln Former Woolworths (Waterside Shopping Centre) - Primark

Lincoln Former Woolworths (Waterside Shopping Centre) – Primark

 

Grimsby – Store 18

84a Freeman Street, Grimsby DN32 7AG

The eighteenth store to open in the UK, Grimsby opened in 1913, completing a line of stores from the northwest to the northeast coasts. It originally opened on Cleethorpe Road. Grimsby store was popular with fishermen and docksmen, selling more hunting knives and budget breakfasts than any other branch.

Grimsby Freeman Street Woolworths 1913

Grimsby Freeman Street Woolworths 1913

Source: Woolworths Museum

This is an image from a postcard being sold of eBay. There is no date but it looks very early on.

Grimsby-Freeman-Street-Woolworths-no-date

Grimsby-Freeman-Street-Woolworths-no-date

Source: Roy Sharkey Postcard Collection

13 years later, Woolworths relocated to Freeman Street in a 4,174 sq ft store in April 1925. 9000 customers walked through the door in the first day and a half.

In 1964 the store was ‘reskinned’. Located near the docks, this store was overshadowed by a new town centre store  on Victoria Street which had opened in September 1957.

Grimsby Freeman Street Woolworths 1950s

Grimsby Freeman Street Woolworths 1950s

Source: Grimsby Cleethorpes History Facebook group

This store closed in 1971, when the newer store had converted to self-service. Many towns with two Woolworths lost one in the 1970s.

The building is still around today, occupied by Grimsby Carpet Warehouse (GWC), which if you stick into Google, you get this lovely picture 😉

Grimsby Freeman Street Former Woolworths - GWC Grimsby Carpet Warehouse 2017

Grimsby Freeman Street Former Woolworths – GWC Grimsby Carpet Warehouse 2017

Source: Grimsby Telegraph