612-614a Lea Bridge Road, Leyton, London E10 7DL
One of the early London stores, this one opened in 1923 in the Bakers Arms district on Lea Bridge Road, with a striking Art Deco facade. It was an L-Shaped store with the main entrance on Lea Bridge Road, and a smaller side entrance on the High Road.
In these photos taken in 1939, the windows had been neatly taped up for safety, to prepare for the war. As a result, both frontages stayed intact during the blitz.
Somewhere along the line you can see the Woolworth fascia got a sixties makeover, just looking at the typeface used.
Above three photos – source: Historic England
In the 2000s, this was one of the stores chosen to be a general store, and had it’s store number renamed from 129 to 2024.
Source: Lock, D.
Then it was tranformed back to a normal Woolworths until its closure in December 2008.
Today the main part of the building is an Iceland, and it is pleasing to see the Art Deco facade remains.
Source: London Postcode Walks
The High Road side entrance is now a Greggs.
Source: All in London